Making FGM History In The UK: Manchester, 22 September 2014
Making FGM History is a free, open event on 22 September ’14*, during the Labour Party Annual Conference in Manchester, to develop genuine dialogue between senior policy influencers and those who fight FGM ‘on the ground’. Keynote speakers/listeners include Sir Keir Starmer QC, Luciana Berger MP, Cllr. Richard Watts (Islington), Cllr. Sue Murphy (Manchester), Cllr Ellie Robinson (Newham), French attorney Linda Weil-Curiel, Dexter Dias QC and GP Dr Phoebe Abe. [*9.15-11.30am, Mechanics Institute]
MAKING FGM HISTORY IN THE UK:
a free, open discussion to share experience and develop grounded, workable policy.
to develop a genuine, open conversation around what should inform policy influencers in the Labour Party concerning best practice in eradicating female genital mutilation (FGM) and other harmful traditional practices, particularly in the UK; and to mainstream that activity as an integral part of Labour / national policy to prevent child (and vulnerable adult women) abuse.
The event is free to attend.
Everyone with an interest in eradicating FGM is welcome, whether or not they are members of the Labour Party, or also attending the Labour Party Conference.
Pre-registration is preferred (for coffee/tea numbers etc; please see Contact details below), but just turning up on the day is also OK.
Date / time:
Monday 22 September 2014, 9.15 for 9.30 – 11.30am
Mechanics Institute, 103 Princess Street, M1 6DD, just outside the Conference cordon.
MAP (location and travel)
Our venue is very kindly sponsored and hosted by NW TUC.
Anyone who wants to come; all welcome, everyone will have an opportunity to share their experience and views (contact email below).
Opening remarks / key ‘listeners’:
- Prof Hazel Barrett, Project lead, European programme REPLACE2
- Luciana Berger MP, Shadow Minister for Public Health
- Hilary Burrage, Author, Eradicating Female Genital Mutilation: A UK Perspective
- Dexter Dias QC, Human Rights attorney (attendance tbc, subject to caseload)
- Cllr Sue Murphy, Deputy Leader, Manchester City Council
- Cllr Ellie Robinson, Cabinet Member, Newham Council
- Sir Keir Starmer QC, previously Director of Public Prosecutions
- Cllr Richard Watts, Leader, Islington Council
- Linda Weil-Curiel, French attorney (tbc, subject to AirFrance ?strike)
- Dr Phoebe Abe (GP who runs a free FGM clinic)
- Fatou Baldeh (DARF)
- Ruth Davies (FGM expert midwife)
- Ramona Garland (feminist researcher)
- Nita Jhanji-Garrod (Manchester Police)
- Jeremy Pidd (Manchester Police)
- Carolyn Pegg (legal researcher)
- Ibraheem Taqieu Conteh (Diasporan Hands)
- Cllr Josie Teubler (Manchester City Council)
- Hibo Wardere (survivor and campaigner)
- and others, community activists / experts, with an understanding of policy development.
Initial panel discussion (Chair: Hilary Burrage), then themed group discussions open to all, and final round-up of ideas.
All relevant organisations and activists are welcome to bring leaflets etc to share / display; please notify via email below.
Development of, and hopefully further conversations about, policy and strategy positions to make FGM history in the UK.
Contact and Pre-Registration:
(enquiries and indications of interest)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
FURTHER INFORMATION AND ACTION
Readers are invited to support these two FGM e-petitions:
[See also HM Government e-petition, No. 35313, to STOP Female Genital Mutilation (FGM / ‘cutting’) in Britain (for UK citizens and residents – now closed).]
There is a free FGM hotline for anyone in the UK: 0800 028 3550, or email:email@example.com
The #NoFGM Daily News carries reports of all items shared on Twitter that day about FGM – brings many organisations and developments into focus.
Also available to follow is daily news from NoFGM_USA.
For more on FGM please see here.
Facebook page: #NoFGM – a crime against humanity
** Hilary Burrage is currently writing a book, Eradicating Female Genital Mutilation: A UK Perspective